Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Surtex 2009

ENDANGERED COLLECTION


Just got back from Surtex...and to be honest I was a little disappointed, not to take anything away from the artists that were there, but it was very different from previous years. There were very few exhibitors and I'd say that over half of the booths were agents. I did see a few familiar faces but not many. Is licensing going away??? On a good note...The lack of exhibitors should have brought good traffic to those that were there! There was a lot of traffic at stationary show which was on same floor as Surtex making it easy to navigate the shows.

They did offer smaller booths ($2800) this year for newbees...great idea!
I could not find the magazines...I just hope they were somewhere since I advertised in two of them.

I was happy to meet with clients who were surprised as well at the small size of show, but we must stay positive and keep on creating, because there are companies that are still buying good art!!!

2 comments:

Beth L said...

Hey Gina sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you at the show!
You're right...we need to keep positive because there still ARE companies buying good art, there is a light at the end of the tunnel in all this. I was pleasantly surprised at the ones who are still moving forward...licensing is definitely changing but not going away!
And the magazines were there (not far from my booth!) and your ads look fabulous!

Gina said...

Oh Thank you Beth...coming from one of the hardest working licensees in the business I feel good. I am still plugging away at my contacts and searching for new ones because I strongly believe in licensing and believe it or not you are one of the artists that motivates me through your art...so thank you for the positive note...I will try not to take so long to respond next time...lol.